1lb chicken sausage, removed from the casings
1lb ground chicken
2 slices whole wheat bread (damp bread with water, squeeze out water, and crumble)
1 c grated parmesan
1 c grated mozzarella
¼ medium yellow onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1tbs fresh oregano
2 tbs fresh basil, chopped
1 jar marinara sauce
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Grease a 9 x 13 glass casserole dish with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, combine the sausage (casings removed), ground chicken, eggs, ½ c parmesan, onion, garlic, shallot, salt, pepper, and the wet breadcrumbs. Coat your hands with a little bit of olive oil and roll the meat mixture into 2 tbs balls. Place the meat balls in the prepped casserole dish. Bake the meatballs for 15 minutes, please note they will not be fully cooked in this step.
3. Remove the dish from the oven and then pour the jar of marinara over the meatballs, coating everything evenly. Cover the dish with foil, and place back in the oven to bake for another 15 minutes, or until the meatballs reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees. Take the dish out of the oven and remove the foil.
4. Top the meatballs with mozzarella, ½ c parmesan, oregano, and basil and place uncovered in the oven for 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
5. Remove from the oven and serve with your favorite pasta, by itself, over vegetables, or on a toasted hoagie roll and enjoy!